The YMCA of Greater St. Louis, located in Maryland Heights, is one of 17 YMCA branches in the St. Louis area. According to the Y’s website, the YMCA of Greater St. Louis celebrated its 160th anniversary last October. The first YMCA was founded by 23 men, and it was housed in three rented rooms in the Mercantile Library. Today, all the YMCA branches advocate their core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Keith Cotton painted the cake at the YMCA. It is conveniently located in the lobby overlooking the pool. It features a sports theme; the top of the cake is painted like a basketball. Handprints on the cake show the Y’s positive influence on children, and the base of the cake also proclaims part of the Y’s mission: “We build strong kids & strong families.”
The Missouri Civil War Museum is located in Jefferson Barracks County Park. According to an article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the museum’s founding director is Mark Trout. The museum opened last summer, over a decade after the museum leased the building from the county in 2002. After countless hours of work and roughly $1.7 million, today the approximate 102-year-old building houses many informative exhibits about the Civil War.
Stuart Schuchardt painted the cake at the museum. It is painted in patriotic colors, and it features Civil War symbols, such as cannons and Union and Confederate flags. A man driving by said that the building across the street from the cake was the former nurses’ quarters.
The Shrine of St. Joseph is located slightly north of Downtown on North 11th Street. According to its website, it is a Catholic congregation that was founded by Jesuits in 1843. The Jesuits planned to build the church to serve the predominantly German community, and the cornerstone was placed in 1844. The church is the only site in the Midwest that can boast of a Vatican-authenticated miracle. In 1864 Ignatius Strecker was dying from complications from an injury. After kissing a relic from Blessed Peter Claver he regained his strength. Blessed Peter Claver was canonized a saint the following year. Eventually the Jesuits left and the church became staffed by an archdiocesan priest. Today the Archdiocese of St. Louis owns the Shrine of St. Joseph, but the nonprofit The Friends of the Shrine of St. Joseph currently leases the church.
Moira Smith painted the cake at the church. It features a nature scene painted in rich colors. The fence painted on the base of the cake is fitting, because the cake is situated behind an ornate fence. I especially like the little bird standing inside the “0.”
Thirty-two years after its founding, Brightside St. Louis remains an important organization in St. Louis. According to Brightside’s website, it began as Operation Brightside. Vince Schoemehl, the former mayor of St. Louis, and G. Duncan Bauman, publisher of the former St. Louis Globe Democrat, founded the organization in answer to a 1981 survey that showed St. Louisans thought the number one thing wrong with the city was that it was “dirty.” Today, Brightside St. Louis is always beautifying St. Louis. The most obvious example is probably the daffodils that pop up along St. Louis highways every spring.
George Grove painted the cake on display at Brightside St. Louis’ demonstration garden located on Shenandoah Avenue. The cake features a garden theme. On the back of the cake, the Arch is depicted by a lot of daffodils. The caterpillars and butterflies are one of my favorite parts of this cake. If you visit this cake, be advised that this cake is directly in the path of a sprinkler. :)
Located in South City, the Carondelet Historical Society was the site of the first public kindergarten in America. Susan Blow opened the kindergarten in the Des Peres School in 1873. Over a hundred years later, the Carondelet Historical Society was formed. Its inaugural year was 1967, and it had 353 members. It purchased the building in 1981, and the building was subsequently placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Today, there are exhibits about Carondelet in the building.
April Morrison painted the cake at the Carondelet Historical Society. It showcases Carondelet’s history, including facts painted on top of it. It has a school theme; the top of the cake is divided by a protractor. The candle is painted like a No. 2 pencil—perfect for test taking! The front base of the cake has the “letter people” that are ubiquitous in kindergarten classrooms everywhere.
According to an article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Rigazzi’s is the oldest restaurant on The Hill. Louis Aiazzi and a partner opened the restaurant in 1957. Since then, it has sold over 1 million Parmiciano sandwiches. The restaurant is also famous for its 32 oz “fishbowl” of beer.
Deann Rubin painted the cake at Rigazzi’s. Its design is quite varied; it has baseballs on the main tier and presumably St. Louis IX on a horse on the top tier. Chess pieces and zoo animals also make an appearance , and the fleurs-de-lis on top are a nice touch. .
It’s the first three-digit cake! One hundred down, 150 to go! Today’s cake was originally at the LGBT Center, but now it is located at Manchester & Sarah. Regardless of its location, it showcases the progressiveness of The Grove business district in the Forest Park Southeast neighborhood area. The Grove is an area hub for cyclists, artists, and members of the LGBTQA community. According to the LGBT Center’s website, it began as an offshoot of The Metropolitan Community Church of Greater St. Louis in 1975. Today it remains an important aspect of St. Louis’ LGBT community, and its role becomes more important as St. Louis reconsiders gay marriage and gay rights. It was reported that Mayor Francis Slay wore a purple shirt to the recent PrideFest parade, so times are changing!
The cake in The Grove features an eye-catching rainbow theme. Organizations’ names are painted on the main tier of the cake, and the top tier is a rainbow rendition of the St. Louis flag. I like how April Morrison, the artist, noted that it was “made with love.”